Thursdays: Topaz show is no longer running. We are looking for a new home for our Thurs show somewhere in the NW DC area. If you know any venues that want a Thursday Comedy Night please let us know!
Topaz show is no longer running. We are looking for a new home for our Thurs show somewhere in the NW DC area.
If you know any venues that want a Thursday Comedy Night please let us know!
Thursdays, 8:00 – 10:00 PM Free Show! “R” Rated Material. Must be 21 and older.
One of the best free things to do in Northwest, NW DC on a Thursday night! Great date-night idea for a Thursday night in Dupont. Dinner & a show for not much dough!
Please Check This Page For Cancellation Updates Due To Inclement Weather.
ReservationsFirst Come First Serve. NO Reservations.
Get there early seats fill up fast. Seating in downstairs showroom starts at 7pm.
Metro Accessible or Parking on Streets and in Garages.
Pay Parking Garage within walking distance:
First Come First Serve. NO Reservations.
Please No holding/saving of seats for people who haven’t arrived yet. We must give the seats to people who are IN the showroom to be fair. Get there early seats fill up fast.
Seating in downstairs showroom starts at 7pm.
1. CELL PHONES OFF PLEASE
2. NO CAMERAS, AUDIO OR VIDEO RECORDING OR TAPING ALLOWED
3. Food & Drinks: place your orders at bar in showroom. If ordering food, tell bartender your Table #, so your server can find you in the showroom.
4. Shhh…..Don’t be a Talky Talkerson®. If you need to chat please STEP OUT TO THE UPSTAIRS BAR. The pre-show announcements are part of the show. Please stop talking at this point. Carrying on a conversation during the show is disrespectful to the comics onstage and rude to the people sitting near you and our guests. They came to hear the comics talk, not you. Please whisper when ordering food and drinks.
5. Ladies: Please don’t hang purses on backs of chairs, they block our skinny aisleways and make life difficult for servers. Please stow purses under your chair or table. Keep your chair & your legs hugging your table tightly so you don’t block our super-skinny aisleways (tripping hazard in a dark showroom).
6. Please wait for a comic’s set to end before rifling through a purse, briefcase, backpack, shopping bag.
7. Leaving the show early is demoralizing to the performers; please slip out discreetly between comics.
8. DON’T SHOUT STUFF OUT/MAKE OUTLOUD COMMENTS TO THE COMIC ON STAGE: what seems like “playfully joining in” is in fact a jarring interruption to the comic’s carefully scripted routine & brings the show to an awkward grinding halt. Don’t be that guy.
9. If you feel like wearing your partici-pants®, save it for the “Everybody’s A Comedian”® joke contest segment after the show. You’ll get to come up onstage, tell 1 joke and maybe win $25 cash Just 1 short setup/punchline joke please- NO STORIES. STORIES ARE NOT FUNNY.
10. If you must throw something—throw money.
See the areas best seasoned professionals and amateurs hone old material and try new, as well as meet the Bright New Faces™ of comedy as they take the stage for the first time.
12-15 comics per show each doing 3 to 10 minute sets. Enjoy a night of diverse comedy.
Each show is a mix of 80% pros who do long sets(7-10-15mins,etc) and 20% newbies who do short sets (3mins). Most other free open mic comedy shows are a random mix of pros & newbies, resulting in a hit-or-miss show. Our shows are structured so you will always see a good show as the bulk of the time goes to the pros, with just a sprinkling of 3min nervous newbies thrown in.
COMICS: Want to perform at any of our shows? Please no walk-ons, or phone calls all shows are pre-booked by email only.
Trying Stand-up for the first time? “Newbies” are Welcome!
Please EMAIL ONLY CurtShackelford@verizon.net to sign-up to perform.
“Everybody’s A Comedian®” Joke Contest
At the end of every show we do a joke contest segment we call “Everybody’s A Comedian”® where we invite 3 “non-com”* volunteers from the audience to hop up on stage and tell a joke. Best joke wins $25 cash and 2 free tickets to our “Laugh Riot at the Hyatt” Saturday night show at the Hyatt Hotel in Bethesda, MD .
Rules for the Joke Contest:
Please do not particpate in the joke contest more than once a month to give everyone a chance!
There is no advance sign-up for the Joke Contest.
After the final comic is finished, when the MC asks who would like to participate, just walk up to the stage.
The spotlight is bright so we can’t see you if you raise your hand, so just walk on up to the stage.
Have your joke prepared and ready to tell, use notes if that helps.
Jokes must not exceed 30-seconds long from when you take the stage to delivery of your punchline. Going over the 30-seconds mark will disqualify you.Practice your joke with a stopwatch to be sure you stay under the 30-seconds limit.
Jokes must be in setup-punchline format, as in “ Two guys walk into a bar…. NO STORIES FROM REAL LIFE. STORIES ARE NOT FUNNY. They are also too long to fit the 30-seconds time limit.
Must stand on the stage to tell your joke. The audience cannot see you if you are just standing on floor.
As soon as you step on stage, start your joke.
Leave the mic in the mic stand-don’t waste your time wrestling it out of the mic stand.
Stand close to the mic-almost touching- so everyone can hear you.
You’ve only got 30 seconds, so skip any background info about you or the origin of your joke. Running over 30-seconds time limit disqualifies you, so time your joke with a stopwatch before the show to be sure it’s within the limit.
After you tell your joke step off stage and stand on floor next to stage to await voting by applause when everyone is done.
Winner is chosen by audience applause. When MC says your name and your punchline, step forward and raise your hand so audience remembers which joke goes with which face. If a tie, Producer will pick winner based on joke quality & delivery.
*Comics (performing that night or not) are not eligible to do the Joke Contest. This is strictly for “non-com” audience members only.